The Nottingham Sailing Club Response to COVID-19
Procedures to follow in the boat-park, taking a boat out
sailing and recovery.
V2 – 20th May 2020
Please sign-in and sign out when you leave the Club (book in start box).
You must keep ‘social distancing’ (2m apart) at all times inside and outside the boat-park.
This rule applies in all areas and should be strictly observed when rigging/derigging your boat (be aware of members of the public crossing in front of the boat park).
Avoid rigging and de-rigging your boat on the footpath, so there is minimal possible interaction with members of the public.
If you wish to sail, then the following is advised:
- Be conservative – stay within the limits of your ability – think twice at least before sailing.
- Factors to consider when deciding to go afloat include: weather forecast, temperature, wind speed, direction and especially – your own competence.
- Use righting lines, long painters and mast head floats. Long painters (around 5m) will help if rescue is needed.
- All sailors are strongly recommended to carry a paddle to help themselves out if in difficulty – particularly in light winds – remember there is no safety boat to tow you back!
- Restrict your sailing area activities to make it easier for any rescue.
- If you sail out of sight of the Club then please sail with a ‘buddy’.
- You should have a plan, and let someone know what you are doing before sailing.
- If sailing alone someone should be onshore who knows where you are.
- Sailors should maintain social distancing afloat and during launch/recovery.
No safety boat cover will be provided. Manning the safety boat and recovery of anyone in the water should only occur if there is a risk to life – so consider if that risk is higher than the risk of infection as a result of the launch, recovery and use of the safety boat.
It is your responsibility to sail safely and avoid any circumstance where the safety boat might be required.
If you are carrying out maintenance of your boat and berth within the boat-park – remember to clean any Club equipment (e.g. lawn mower, and only use the ‘start box’ mower) before and after usage to avoid any chance of infection.